which graph should i use?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Vixen

which graph should i use?

Post by Vixen »

i need help. I dont know what graph to use for my science fair project. Its about "how the fabric affects the resulted dye color." what graph would be best? Okay so first i gathered all the materials and prepared the water. after i dyed the fabrics i took pictures and noted that certain fabrics absorbed more of the dye.
the independent variable is the fabric and the dependent variable is the resulted color. my hypothesis is: If i use a more adsorbable fabric then the color will be closer to the expected shade because the fabric will soak up more of the dye
hope this is enough information, if you need anymore please just ask.
Last edited by Vixen on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmp1341
Former Expert

Re: which graph should i use?

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi! This sounds like a really cool project!
In order for me to be able to help you in a way that is specific to your project, I will need you to provide some more info about your science fair. What I'm needing is a quick overview of what you did for the experiment, independent and dependent variables, and a hypothesis.

By any chance, did you happen to model your science fair after this science buddies project? If you did, that's great, and if it's somewhat similar, I can help you work out what you need to do for your graph.
Please check this out and tell me if this is what you did:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... st-tie-dye

If you did, here's where I think you could get the most useful information:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

What kinds of observations did you take for your fabric? Did you take pictures? If so, you can use an online tool (in the second link) to help you find numerical values for hue, saturation, and brightness, which will help you to be able to graph your results very clearly. Please explore link #2 and tell me what you think.
If you use this tool, you could graph the averages on a bar chart, where the x-axis is fabric type and the y-axis is the average value. You should have one graph for each type of value, hue, sat, and brightness.

I hope this helps! When you get back to me about what exactly you did for your project, I'll be able to help you more.

Stay nerdy!
lmp1341

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”