Help with graphing results

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Kquin

Help with graphing results

Post by Kquin »

Hello, My daughter did a sunscreen project using 7 different spf 50 creams. We are trying to figure out the best way to graph the results. Surprisingly they we not all the same. We are just trying to tie it all together.

They were various prices, brands and active ingredients. Much appreciated
lmp1341
Former Expert

Re: Help with graphing results

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi there!
Sounds like a really neat project!
We'd be happy to help you out more with the graphing, but in order to do this, we'll need to know some more basic info about your project so we can better assist you.
Would you mind telling us what your testable question was, a basic idea of the experiment you performed, Independent and Dependent variables?

Once we have a better idea of what your project is like, we'll be able to walk you through the graphing process. Should be fun!!
Looking forward to learning more about your project!

Is there any chance this is similar to the project that you did?
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ss#summary

Stay nerdy!
lmp1341
Kquin

Post by Kquin »

Hello,

The girls used UV reactive beads, and a UV flashlight. Several spf 50 sunscreen creams were tested by placing sunscreen between 2 pieces of glass and placing it over the container of beads being sure the circle (top of container surface) was totally covered. The UV light was then placed on top for set time. then results were recorded. Multiple brands at varying prices were used.

Most had different results despite being the same spf.

The question was "What sunscreen is the most effective"

Hope this is enough information.
Appreciate the help!
lmp1341
Former Expert

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi again,
sorry to ask for so many details, but I'm still not quite able to help you out because I'm not sure what exactly your graph will be composed of.
What exactly did you "measure"? Did you make a data table?

If I understand correctly, you were checking reactivity of the beads when protected by certain brands of the same SPF, am I right? If I'm wrong, please let me know what exactly you collected, data-wise. I'm just wondering if you used numbers or a color scale to determine how much they were protected vs. not.

If I was right, you would do a bar graph where your X-axis will be "Brands" and the Y-axis would be however you measured reactivity. (did you measure color intensity of the beads? I just need an idea of what you recorded in your data tables when you did the experiment.

I would use a bar graph nonetheless, because it sounds like your project would fit this kind of graph best.

Does all of this make sense? If you're confused, please reach out again and I'll be happy to help out.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Hope I can help more when I get the info, we are going to decode this together, don't worry!

Stay nerdy,
lmp1341
Kquin

Post by Kquin »

You are correct!

We have an image with the gradient scale that we are using.

We are going with the bar graph for sure but due to the nature of the software we have to switch the x & y axis.

Thank you so much

Not a science fair Mom : )
lmp1341
Former Expert

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi again,
Sounds good! Because you're using a color spectrum, you can use the numbers that correspond with the spectrum to graph using a bar graph. However, would you mind describing the issue with the software?? I don't recommend switching around the X and Y axis for the reason that the Independent Variable (the one that is being manipulated or changed) should always be on the X axis. Here's an article explaining the reasoning behind that:
https://mathbench.umd.edu/modules/visua ... page02.htm
In your case, you would need to have brand of sunscreen on the X axis and color reaction on the Y axis, because color is the dependent variable.
Does that make sense?
If the software doesn't allow you to do that, I would graph by hand. It's imperative that IV corresponds with X and DV corresponds with Y.

Please let me know if you have any more questions! ;)
Wishing you guys luck and I'll be happy to answer any other worries or questions you guys have.

You guys are doing great so far by the way! keep it up!
lmp1341

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”