Bpa testing

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

joanabvitoria

Bpa testing

Post by joanabvitoria »

Hi, my science fair experiment is testing products for bpa, me and my partner ordered a bpa test kit online a month ago and it still didn't arrive. We were running out of time so we decided to search on the internet how to do the experiment without the kit. One of the things that I found was in this website where it said that to the bpa "indicator" I would need to do a aqueous Iron (III) chloride solution and it experiment was gonna work like that. I wanted to ask if I can do the experiment with the solution and how much Iron (III) chloride should i buy. Does anyone knows anything about that?
alyssaSTEMg
Former Student Expert

Re: Bpa testing

Post by alyssaSTEMg »

Hi Joana,

Thankyou for your question. I found a website that will show you he experiment step by step:
http://www.home-health-chemistry.com/Bi ... ction.html
You can also purchase the Iron(III) chloride solution there. Be cautious that using this method instead of a bpa test kit can be more qualitative rather than quantitative. This means that results may be less accurate numerically, as it acts more like an indicator.

Thankyou,
Alyssa

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”