Oil Residue

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Sarah2008

Oil Residue

Post by Sarah2008 »

I am hoping to do a science fair project around measuring the effectiveness of detergent on cleaning bird feathers after they have been exposed to oil. Is there are way to quantify the oil that remains on the feather once it has been washed? Thank you.
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Oil Residue

Post by 17eugenekim »

Hello,

This is quite an interesting question and project idea! I'll try to provide what input I can, but this might be worth posting to the Physical Sciences subforum as well - the experts there might have more specific knowledge on analytical methods for something like this.

That said, my first thought is to simply measure weights. If you have access to a scale with milligram-level accuracy or better, you might be able to get away with measuring the feather before oil exposure, after oil exposure, and after cleaning. With some calculations, you could find the proportion of oil removed. I have no idea how much your feathers weigh, and whether you'll be able to detect meaningful differences, but that's one thought. Alternatively, you could use a qualitative measure, and rate oiliness on the feathers on a scale of, say for instance, 1-10.

Finally, here's a discussion from 2010 with a very similar project question, addressed by two Experts - absolutely worth checking out: viewtopic.php?t=6884

Hope that helps!
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

Hi Sarah,

I've cross-posted this thread with the Grades 6-8 Physical Sciences forum. Perhaps some of those experts have some additional suggestions!

Madeline
Sarah2008

Post by Sarah2008 »

Thank you for your help. We have a good set of scales and we will give the measuring a go. Designing an oiliness scale could be interesting too. I appreciate your help.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”