Strange question!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
candice

Strange question!

Post by candice »

Hey!

We have just learnt about moss in biology, and one of the girls in my class asked a question which seemed silly at the time, but is one i'd be interested to know the answer to.

Since a moss plant e.g. Polytrichum has sperms that are able to swim in liquid as the human sperm is, could a human get pregnant from a moss? I mean, in a laboratory setting if they fused the moss sperm with a human egg.

Its a very strange question I know! But It would be interesting to know if plant and animal gametes could fuse and form something.

Thanx!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Answer to Strange Question

Post by tdaly »

Candice,

The answer is a resounding NO!!!!!!!! THe definition of "species" includes the limitation that two species CAN NOT reproduce to form a fertile offspring. Also, the chromosome numbers for the two species are VERY DIFFERENT, adding yet another restriction on crossing humans and moss!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”