Dealing With Diabetes - Artificial Pancreas

Questions about hands-on science and engineering activities.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

riyakray007

Dealing With Diabetes - Artificial Pancreas

Post by riyakray007 »

My Daughter wants to start this project for her science fair in Woodlands TX. She had a question : Can this be designed to add decrease in glucose levels as we have members in our family who also suffer from low sugar. How do i add her into this account as well?
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Dealing With Diabetes - Artificial Pancreas

Post by bfinio »

Hi - I deleted the email address that you posted, please do not post personal contact information in the forums. All our questions and answers are done directly in the forums. If your daughter would like to ask questions directly, she can create an account on the Science Buddies website and post here.

To answer your question, please see Table 1 in the introduction of the project. You can add tap water to the distilled water, which simulates adding insulin, but you can also add more distilled water, which simulates eating carbohydrates. You could do this process manually just by pouring in more distilled water, or you could hook up a second pump with another container of distilled water to pump it in automatically. Hope that helps!
riyakray007

Post by riyakray007 »

Thank you for your response and keeping my daughters email address safe!

As we embark upon this project, is there a step by step approach for building this tool?
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

The only step by step instructions (with exact parts lists, circuit diagrams, etc) are what's available on the project page here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... l-pancreas

Adding or changing things to those exact instructions is up to the individual student. If your daughter has never worked with circuits, programming, or an Arduino before, I would suggest that she start with our How to Use an Arduino tutorial series before tackling this project:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... an-arduino

That will provide a much gentler introduction to many of the basics, and hopefully give her more confidence when modifying an advanced project.

Please don't hesitate to write back if you have more questions.

Return to “STEM Activities”