Influenza(flu) BLAST Investigation

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

yezicho07

Influenza(flu) BLAST Investigation

Post by yezicho07 »

Hello, I am interested in comparing nucleotides using BLAST and would like to further this activity by exploring another virus that people commonly get vaccinated for. I was thinking of hepatitis B, but unlike influenza, they are vaccinated few times a lifetime - I wonder if this would still make the research project feasible? I am having trouble finding the exact surveillance data for this virus, and its vaccines seem to contain strains for all of the virus strains. Thank you!
akulk
Student Expert

Re: Influenza(flu) BLAST Investigation

Post by akulk »

Hello!

What a fascinating topic!

Is there anything specific you are aiming to glean from BLAST nucleotide comparisons? Perhaps that can guide which vaccines you can compare the influenza vaccine to – I would love more information about your project so I can help you further!

From what I understand at this point, however, I would suggest you compare single-dose vaccines to other single-dose vaccines to keep the nature of your variables as constant as possible. Other single-dose vaccines that might be helpful to your project include the pneumococcal vaccine for pneumonia and the yellow fever vaccine. In addition, if Hepatitis is something you want to explore, special cases of the Hepatitis A vaccine are administered in a single-dose format – particularly during outbreaks or when traveling to regions with a high risk of Hepatitis A.

All the best with your project, and please let us know if we can help you further!

Anika

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”