How do you culture bacteria?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

amiran010898

How do you culture bacteria?

Post by amiran010898 »

I am doing a science project for a class on what kills bacteria the best. But a major part of it is culturing bacteria. I have an idea of how to but I want to make sure that I am doing it in the best way. What materials do I need? What process do I follow? How can I make it the same for all tests I do? Please if someone can help me clarify and led me in the right direction.
akulk
Student Expert

Re: How do you culture bacteria?

Post by akulk »

Hi there!

Thank you for your question!

Bacteria can largely be cultured in broth medium (liquid) or agar medium (solid). If this is your first time, I would recommend using agar medium! All you need is lab-grade agar powder and hot water (please carry this out in an appropriate lab setting, however!); you dissolve a specific concentration of agar powder into hot water, and can also supplement it with bacterial nutrients like Luria Bertami broth for faster growth. You then pour this agar solution into sterile Petri dishes, and let them solidify before spreading your bacteria onto the surface. You can also find pre-poured Petri dishes on platforms that sell specialized lab material – like Carolina Biosciences.

Which bacteria are you planning to culture? We can help you find more targeted protocols and point you in the right direction based on the bacterial species you want to use :)

All the best with your project, and please let us know if we can help you further!

Anika

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”