Coated Pill Vs. Uncoated Pill and its effects in the stomach

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Izzy09

Coated Pill Vs. Uncoated Pill and its effects in the stomach

Post by Izzy09 »

I would like to do a science project that the studies the effects of a coated or uncoated pill on how quickly it dissolves? I am doing this for a school science project, and I can't' find any experiment demonstrating the procedures and or materials for such project.
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Re: Coated Pill Vs. Uncoated Pill and its effects in the stomach

Post by chloemkohl »

This sounds like a super cool experiment! One possible suggestion would be to use over-the-counter pills, such as Tylenol or Advil, and dissolve them in water. If you wanted a more accurate simulation of the stomach, you could use liquids with a lower pH. While vinegar and lemon juice are not quite as acidic as stomach acid, their pH values are much closer than that of water. You could then time how fast it takes for the pills to dissolve and compare pills with coats. vs pills without. Let me know how the experiment goes, and feel free to reach out with any other questions!

Good luck!
Chloe

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”