Artificial Pancreas

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

StillLearning

Re: Artificial Pancreas

Post by StillLearning »

Hi, actually few hours after my last question, the whole thing worked. Thanks for helping.

One of the schoolmates asked where and how the artificial Pancreas' position would be on a patient's body. I told him that the machine will on the patient's body all the time with needle under the skin. He was like, "that's painful and I don't see any logic why one should keep it all the time".

he isn't wrong about that being painful but also, how is one supposed to deliver insulin without a needle?

So, as far as I've understood: (kindly correct me if I'm wrong)

1. the needle needs to be changed every few days.

2. Artificial Pancreas/automated insulin delivery system is better for people that can't controll their diabetes at all. Not all patients need to use this/not all patients should be using this.

3. Patients can take on and off their artificial pancreas if needed.

4. The model science buddies has shown: there is not any variable set other than normal glucose level. So, isn't it closed loop system?
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - Your model in this project helps demonstrate some of the technology involved and how it works with the body's chemistry. For the kinds of questions you have related to how a "smart pump" would be used, you might want to go and look at some of the current insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors that are being used already -- that will give you a sense of what they look like and how they are worn.

Most insulin pumps require wearing some form of "site" that is attached to the skin and has a cannula through which insulin is delivered from the pump. It isn't a "needle" that is left in, but people who use insulin pumps do have to wear a site attached to their body. Sites do have to be changed every few days (or when there is any form of problem). The timeframe varies for different systems. (The site and cannula are typically attached by tubing to the pump itself. The pump is then carried, for example, in a pocket or clipped onto clothing.)

I would encourage you to do a bit more reading about the benefits of a closed loop pump (or even some of the modern open loops available). These benefits are not just for people who can't control their diabetes. Diabetes is always changing. Smarter systems can help increase control for everyone who uses an insulin pump, which can lead to better health outcomes. The kind of system described here is, yes, removable. It involves several parts that work together -- glucose monitor, pump, and the sites that are worn for both of those devices. But for these systems to work, they have to be worn continuously. They can't be taken on and off other than to change the site(s) or to discontinue use.

There are several manufacturers of pumps. One of the newer pumps, however, which is relevant to your research is from Beta Bionics. You might want to take a look at how it works as a model of a closed loop system. https://www.betabionics.com/ilet-bionic-pancreas/

I hope this helps.

Amy
Science Buddies
StillLearning

Post by StillLearning »

Hi! I have another question. Is there a way to know how much insulin has entered the body?
amyCC
Site Admin
Project Question: *
Project Due Date: *

Post by amyCC »

From a pump? Pumps definitely record how much insulin is administered - and many of them also show how much insulin is "on board" (which takes into account the amount of time insulin works in the body). This information is used when "corrections" are given or when basal insulin is adjusted by even a hybrid loop. If the insulin on board wasn't tracked, then a loop could easily give too much insulin. It's important to remember from your research that insulin doesn't work "immediately"....

(Keep in mind, too, that many pumps use a system where a "bolus" of insulin is administered at times, like when someone eats. The pump also administers "basal" information throughout the day.)

Amy
Science Buddies
StillLearning

Post by StillLearning »

Is it possible to show those things in our pancreas model? Specifically, is it possible to show how much tap-water has been added in distilled water? I'm asking this because one of the teachers asked, "How to know the amount of insulin that has been used?"
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by bfinio »

Hi - you would need to look into additional options to modify your project since measuring volume changes is not included in the baseline Science Buddies instructions. I can think of two options off the top of my head:

1. Manual measurements - use something like graduated cylinders to hold the water instead of food storage containers. You can measure the starting and final water levels in each container.
2. Electronic measurements would be more complicated but you could Google "arduino water flow rate measurement" and see if there are electronic ways to measure water flow rate through a tube with a sensor and an Arduino. Science Buddies does not have a tutorial for this so you would have to figure out how to do this on your own.

Hope that helps,

Ben
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert

Post by MadelineB »

Hello,

These are excellent suggestions from the expert Ben. I would just add that it would be good to do the manual measurements with a graduated cylinder even if you decide to also try to get electronic measurements.

Best of luck with this fascinating project!

Madeline
StillLearning

Post by StillLearning »

What logic gate has been used in this model? I was asked this by some people.
bfinio
Expert

Post by bfinio »

Hi - this project does not use a discrete logic gate. It uses an Arduino, which is a programmable microcontroller. You can program logic into the code, for example using IF statements.
StillLearning

Post by StillLearning »

MadelineB wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:36 pm Hello,

These are excellent suggestions from the expert Ben. I would just add that it would be good to do the manual measurements with a graduated cylinder even if you decide to also try to get electronic measurements.

Best of luck with this fascinating project!

Madeline

Hi, won the first prize! Thanks, sciencebuddies
bfinio
Expert

Post by bfinio »

That's great to hear, congratulations!
amyCC
Site Admin

Post by amyCC »

Congratulations!

If you would be interested in answering a few questions about your project (why you chose it, how it went, and so on), please let me know. If you are interested, I will reach out to you by email (using the email on your account).

Amy
Science Buddies
StillLearning

Post by StillLearning »

Sure! You can mail me on the address that is connected to this account. And if you can't see my address, then let me know here.
amyCC
Site Admin

Post by amyCC »

Thanks so much. I'll email you.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”