Science Fair Project Catchy Title

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Deemiller

Science Fair Project Catchy Title

Post by Deemiller »

Hello! Mu daughter is doing her 7th grade science fair project on: does salt water or lemon juice have any effect on the rate of dehydration of different types of apples? She'll be testing Gala, Granny Smith & Red Delicious apples in both salt water & lemon juice. However, she's having a hard time trying to title her project. Can you offer some catchy titles for her project?
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair Project Catchy Title

Post by audreyln »

Hello!

Sounds like a fun project! A few title ideas that come to mind are "Salt or Sour: how do salt water and lemon juice effect the rate of apple dehydration?" or "Bobbing for Apples: how do different liquids effect the rate of apple dehydration?"

Just a note - I see that your experiment may have two variables. One is the liquid the apple will be in (salt water or lemon juice) and the other is the type of apple (Gala, Granny Smith, Red Delicious). As you analyze and display the data you daughter will need to ensure she is only using one variable at a time (e.g. compare the lemon juice only results and see how they change for the different types of apples).

Good luck!

Audrey
Deemiller

Post by Deemiller »

Thank you so much! I will ensure that she analyze it that way. Also, you are saying that the apple types and liquids are both the independent variable, correct?
Deemiller

Apple Dehydration

Post by Deemiller »

Hello! I'm doing my science fair project on "How does lemon juice and salt water effect the rate of dehydration?" I'm doing research but I keep finding information on apple browning/oxidation relating to lemon juice & salt water. I'm going to test 3 different apples in those liquids to see which one dries out 1st. Can you help me find information on dehydration of apples or do I need to focus on apple oxidation? Thank!!
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by audreyln »

Deemiller wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:00 am Thank you so much! I will ensure that she analyze it that way. Also, you are saying that the apple types and liquids are both the independent variable, correct?
Correct - varying the apply type is one independent variable and varying the liquids is another independent variable. Typically it is best to limit an experiment to one independent variable and hold everything else constant.
Deemiller

Post by Deemiller »

Okay, thank you! I'll inform her that she may just want to test 1 apple type in both liquids instead of 3 different apples.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”