Crime Scene for a class?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

wendylady15

Crime Scene for a class?

Post by wendylady15 »

Hello,
I am a science teacher wanting to the the crime scene lab with my students at the end of our chem unit. If I have two classes of approx 20 students each, how many lab kits will I need? I intend to group them by 3-4 students. Will each group need it's own kit or is it possible to use one kit per two groups? Please advise.
Thank you!

Wendy
MS Science in PA
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Crime Scene for a class?

Post by AmyCowen »

Wendy - This will be such a fun class project!

This is the project you are considering, correct? https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... al-unknown

If so, the question would be, do you plan to have students repeat the experiment.

Because the directions are for a student project, suitable for a science fair, the procedure includes running the test 3 times. (There are three reaction plates.) As noted: "Perform the procedure two more times with clean materials. This will show that your results are repeatable." (So in the student project, the experiment is conducted three times.)

If you don't plan to have students do it three times as a classroom activity, then you could divvy things up differently.... since there are three reaction plates.

There is only one bottle of each of the materials used, so if sharing a kit among multiple groups, they would have to take turns with the materials.

Please do follow up. We would love to hear how this goes!

Amy
Science Buddies
wendylady15

Post by wendylady15 »

Amy!
Thanks for your response! If I teach them good science, I really should do the trials, but I am not sure we will have time to do the three trials. I am using this as a culminating lesson after studying chemical reactions and doing some experiments with sugars, starches, proteins, and fats over the next few weeks. We will be testing for the presence of these substances with reactants like Fehling's Sol'ns A & B throughout the unit. So, I am really debating creating this from scratch on my own with what I have or purchasing a kit (or two) to make it simpler. I have 19 students in my first block and will have 21 in the second. I plan on groups of 3-4 students each. Let me know what you think.
THANKS!
Wendy G.
amyCC
Site Admin
Project Question: *
Project Due Date: *
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by amyCC »

Wendy - I pointed out the trials just to explain why the kit contains the quantity of materials it does.... That enable students doing an independent project to do the three trials -- it also makes it possible to use the kit for multiple groups in your scenario!

I am sure you are and will be still teaching them good science! In the classroom scenario, I would think that doing one trial so they get the hands-on experience would be typical (especially in the essence of time).... and you would remind them that when doing a full project, they would do many trials and why it is important. Seeing the reactions hands-on is a wonderful way to bring what they've been learning to life. (And it sounds like you have hands-on exploration built in throughout, which is great.)

I think this sounds like a great fit for the unit! I would love to hear how it goes (and maybe follow up with you separately to highlight this in a story).

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”