Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

IsabellaCastaneda

Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by IsabellaCastaneda »

I've started a Science Project on the Science Buddies link regarding the subject above, but halfway through the project, I've realized that it is not following the scientific method, is there anyway I could turn this model into a real experiment with a hypothesis? Any help would be appreciated, and quick! Thank you so much!
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... l-pancreas
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by bfinio »

Hi - I think I may have just replied to your comment on YouTube before I saw this. Our guide on comparing the engineering design process and the scientific method may help:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... fic-method

To convert this to a scientific method project, you could take a more systematic approach to changing one variable and for example measuring the amount of time it takes for the system to reach equilibrium and for the pump to turn off. For example, you could try using different pump speeds with the analogWrite command, different amounts of manually stirring the container, different sensor configurations, different types of software controllers (see notes in the procedure). Essentially, the procedure as written is very open-ended because there are a lot of things you can choose to iteratively change to try and improve the performance. To change it to a scientific method project, you should focus on changing one thing while keeping the others constant.

If it's not too late and you plan to enter a science fair, you could also check if they accept engineering projects, and then you might not need to change anything. Hope that helps.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”