Question about Dancing Candy Hearts activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

dlynch21

Question about Dancing Candy Hearts activity

Post by dlynch21 »

What other candy will work with this experiment other than tiny conversation candy hearts?

-------------------------------------
Leave this to help the Experts:
The activity can be viewed at: Dancing Candy Hearts
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about Dancing Candy Hearts activity

Post by bfinio »

Hi - we haven't tried this experiment with different types of candy, so can't say for sure. However, my best guess is that this experiment works with the candy hearts because they have a somewhat rough, porous surface, which allows carbon dioxide bubbles to attach to them more easily. This makes me think that they would work better than candy with a smooth/hard surface like M&M's.

I googled "dancing candy STEM activity" and it seems like nearly all of the results that come up are using the candy hearts, but there are also some results with gummy worms. Ultimately it seems like this might be a great experiment for a class to do - try it with different types of candy, see which ones work and which ones don't, and see if there is anything in common between the types that work.

Hope that helps!

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”