****. Hello - PLEASE HELP.

Questions about hands-on science and engineering activities.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Dsusa81

****. Hello - PLEASE HELP.

Post by Dsusa81 »

Hello All -

Hi guys, thank you for letting me join your group.

I had a physics and optics question,

I was out on the West Coast of Florida this summer for vacation and we went to the beach . It was a family group of about 10 of us. Keep in mind it was mid summer - super hot and sunny. The water was flat, calm, and very warm.

I rented a 2 person kayak, and went out on the water with my son who is 7 years old.

We went out on the water about no more than half a mile straight from the beach. ( It was about a quarter of a mile probably )

Our family got scared and called the Coast Guard. They thought that we got sucked out by a riptide. ( and we did a little, but we went out a little bit more sideways than out )

They looked out and thought we had gone out about 2 miles. ( basically they said that we disappeared into the horizon and could just see a speck out there). When I looked back from the deep water, from where I was at, I saw full details of umbrellas, buildings, people( no problem).

Keep in mind, the sun was blasting from above our heads mid-July super bright, different densities of air on the water, clearly visible , light reflecting everything off the water like crazy.

I think it was an optical illusion. If you are on the beach, we looked farther than we actually were. From where I was at ( deep water) I felt like we weren’t far out .

Please help me clarify this.

Basically who was right ?

Thank you very much. :)
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: ****. Hello - PLEASE HELP.

Post by MadelineB »

Hello and thank you for your interest in Science Buddies.

However, these forums are for students in grades K-12 who are doing hands-on science experiments.

There are other sites on the web where you will find answers to your questions.

Thank you,
Madeline

Return to “STEM Activities”