Issue With Arduino Clinostat for Microgravity Plant grow

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

misskord

Issue With Arduino Clinostat for Microgravity Plant grow

Post by misskord »

HI,

I am having issues with the coding part. When I copy the code into the IDE and save, I am not sure WHICH board and port to select. There are over 30 and the ones I thought would work, are not making the Arduino to work. Can someone HELP please????
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Issue With Arduino Clinostat for Microgravity Plant grow

Post by bfinio »

Hi,

Can you answer some questions about exactly what steps you're taking so we can help troubleshoot? From the screenshot you sent via email, it looks like you are using the online Arduino editor and not the desktop version. For that to work, first you need to install the "Arduino Create Agent" on your computer:

https://create.arduino.cc/getting-start ... in/welcome

After installing that, when I go to the web editor and plug my Arduino in, the option for "Arduino UNO COM4" automatically appears in the drop down menu at the top of the screen for me. The number of your COM port may be different depending on how many USB devices are plugged into your computer.

You can make sure the connection to the Arduino is working by testing one of the built-in example programs instead of the more advanced code for the project you're trying to do. You can find this from the left menu under Examples --> Built In --> 01. Basics --> Blink. If you upload this program to the Arduino, it should just blink the on-board LED on and off. You do not need to connect anything else to the circuit. If that works, then you know your Arduino is working OK and you can move on to the circuit for your project.

If that still does not work for some reason, then I recommend using the desktop version of the Arduino software instead, which is available for download here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/software.

More generally - this is a slightly more advanced project, and as mentioned under the prerequisites at the beginning, it's recommended for students who already have some prior Arduino experience. It may be difficult to jump directly into the project if you and your student have never used an Arduino or built a circuit before. I would recommend going through at least the first few videos on our Arduino tutorial page and watching our How to Use a Breadboard video before you continue to proceed with the project:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... an-arduino

https://youtu.be/6WReFkfrUIk?si=Nj4jMxMqfuHorlcO

Hope that helps, please write back if you have more questions.

-Ben
misskord

Post by misskord »

Hi Ben,

The actual device is not the issue. the issue we are having is the software. I have tried to all the ways you mentioned and even downloaded the software. It gives me an error when I save and then try to upload it (also it does not show the board options on the desktop version). This is the error:
Sketch uses 924 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

I need to know how to fix the software issue. also, I know you mentioned that we might be coding it wrong, but we followed the pdf and did what it said to copy and paste the code that is in blue. So, I don't know what we are doing wrong here.

I appreciate your help.
amyCC
Site Admin
Project Question: *
Project Due Date: *

Post by amyCC »

Hi - So that Ben can best help troubleshoot, can you confirm a few details about your current setup.

1) You are using a windows PC?

2) It sounds like you have now tried both the downloadable software and the web-based IDE. The directions will be slightly different for each.

3) As you are doing these steps, your Arduino board is connected to the PC, correct?

4) If you want to use the web-based IDE, did you install the "Create Agent" part that Ben mentioned before? (Do that here: https://create.arduino.cc/getting-start ... in/welcome)

5) After installing Create Agent and then loading the IDE, what do you see in the "Select Board or Port" area? You have mentioned that there are a number of options. Do you see any COM options or anything that says "unknown"?

6) If you want to use the IDE software instead, then when you have it launched, what do you see when you select Tools / Board and Tools/ Port?

You won't be able to upload to the Arduino until the board and port are selected, so we need to solve that first.

Amy
Science Buddies
MShayaan

Post by MShayaan »

Hello, Ben

I was wondering why my clinostat stopped working even though all of the wires are plugged in? Is it because I left it run overnight? Or is it just the battery?
bfinio
Expert

Post by bfinio »

Hi - if you let a motor run continuously on only battery power, it will drain the battery. Please see this note from the project:

"Important: since this experiment needs to run continuously for long periods of time, you will need to leave your Arduino plugged into external power. You can just leave it plugged into the USB port on your computer after uploading your code, or you can plug it into a separate USB charger. Do not use a 9 V battery for this project, as running the motor continuously will kill the battery quickly."
MShayaan

Post by MShayaan »

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to plug it in to external power.
s34n

Post by s34n »

Hi,

I am currently working on my research paper as one of my final assignments in 12th grade. It is a variation of this experiment and I would like to know if there is any specific or detailed reason such as formulas or equations regarding the servo motor speed of 10-15 RPM.

It is in Run the Experiment step #3, "Immediately turn the motor on to the slowest speed you can achieve before it stops. Note that you do not want the petri dish to spin too fast, or the seeds may experience centrifugal effects (they are "flung" toward the outside of the petri dish). If it spins too slow, the seeds may experience gravitropic effects. A speed of approximately 10–15 RPM, easily achievable with common servo motors available for Arduino, should be sufficient."

The explanation provided is sufficient for theoretical reasons, but my teacher would like to know any formulas or equations required to get the specific number.
bfinio
Expert

Post by bfinio »

Hi - I recommend looking up the formula for centripetal acceleration, which you should have encountered if you took a high school physics course. You can use this to calculate the centripetal acceleration of the seeds and compare this to the acceleration due to Earth's gravity. You want to make sure the centripetal acceleration is extremely small compared to Earth's gravity so the effects are negligible.
s34n

Post by s34n »

Thank you for the help. I didn't know the formula because it got skipped, but now I do. I'll be sure to calculate it accurately.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”