Broken Link in "That's a Real Smile! ...or is it?" Science Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jfillette123

Broken Link in "That's a Real Smile! ...or is it?" Science Project

Post by jfillette123 »

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... real-smile

My students would like to do this project, "That's a Real Smile! ...or is it?" however, it relies on the use of an online "Spot the Fake Smile" test that is no longer available at the link provided in the description (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SmileRead). We have tried to google the test to find it elsewhere, but other links (like this one https://ucbpsych.qualtrics.com/jfe/form ... pOS5VM6ONv) are similarly unavailable. I may need to tell them to choose another topic if the test cannot be found. Please let me know if there is some way to resolve this issue.
Thank you!
Jane
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Broken Link in "That's a Real Smile! ...or is it?" Science Project

Post by bfinio »

Hi Jane,

Thank you for pointing this out, we will need to update that project since the link is broken. I can think of two options so your students can still do the project:

1) Replace the original quiz with a similar one. A quick google search for "real vs fake smile" quiz is turning up that same ucbpsych link for me but the second and third results are both working quizzes. Your students would probably need to look through multiple results to decide on the "best" quiz to use, not just pick the first working link that pops up.

2) This would be more work, but possibly more interesting - they could take pictures to generate their own quiz. They could do this by creating situations where they can get pictures of genuine smiles (making people laugh etc) and also asking people to look at the camera and smile to get "forced" smiles.

Hope that helps! We will work on updating the project, but rather than updating it with another specific link (which is just as likely to break at some point in the future), we will probably update it with the two general suggestions above.

Thanks,

Ben
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Broken Link in "That's a Real Smile! ...or is it?" Science Project

Post by bfinio »

Whoops - one additional note - I just realized that the original quiz actually had short videos, not pictures, but I think the same two suggestions above still apply. The other two quizzes I briefly checked out only had pictures. You could use them for this project but they may not give you as much information as a video, such as the duration of the smile (which is mentioned in the project's background).

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”