Measuring glucose in fruit

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ginakscott

Measuring glucose in fruit

Post by ginakscott »

My 7th grade daughter is measuring glucose in 3 fruits for Science fair. We have the sugar metabolism kit from your site. As she is repeating the test (for an apple, for example), does she need to use the same slice of apple every time, or a different slice from the same apple?

Secondly, do the slices from each fruit (apple, pineapple, lemon) need to be the same size?

Thank you!
akulk
Student Expert

Re: Measuring glucose in fruit

Post by akulk »

Hello!

I would recommend using the same mass for each fruit slice you are testing. Surface area of your slices is not as crucial in this experiment as mass, as you will be creating a blended solution from the fruit slices anyway.

For each repetition, I would recommend using different slices from the same fruit to ensure consistency in your results! For a further extension of the experiment, you can also use different fruits entirely (i.e. new slice from a different apple). That way, you are ensuring your results stand true across variations in the fruit you are testing.

Hope this helps! Please don’t hesitate to ask more questions if you need.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”