How to determine sucrose concentration in a particular substance

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ilovesushi

How to determine sucrose concentration in a particular substance

Post by ilovesushi »

I’m doing the project on how invertase plays a role with fructose, glucose and sucrose. In the analyzing your data section, a part of the equation requires the original sucrose concentration of the substance. How do i determine the original sucrose concentration?

Please help, determining original sucrose concentration of a substance is the main part in analyzing my results, and my project is due tomorrow
----------------------------------------------------
Moderator note: I combined your two questions so the experts will see both questions AND see that your first post has not been answered!

Best of luck with your project!
Madeline
akulk
Student Expert

Re: How to determine sucrose concentration in a particular substance

Post by akulk »

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out!

Referencing the “Testing Smoothie and/or Milkshake Ingredients for Glucose, Sucrose, and Lactose” section from this Science Buddies project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... r-smoothie.

This experiment is all about figuring out how much sucrose is in the food tested based on its change in the glucose concentration after adding invertase and lactase. Essentially, you would measure the glucose content of the food before adding the enzymes, after adding invertase, and after adding lactase. The magnitude of how much glucose is in the food after adding the enzymes tells you the magnitude of sucrose and lactose originally in the food; if the glucose content is higher after adding invertase than adding lactase, the food had higher sucrose content than lactose content, and vice versa.

Would you mind referencing the specific equation you’re using so we can help you more effectively?

Thanks!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”