Working With Batteries

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ZionrOsE

Working With Batteries

Post by ZionrOsE »

Hi, for my science fair project, I am working on the Seebeck effect, showing how heat can create electricity by doing so I was planning on using one or two 9-volt batteries that would somehow be connected to the voltmeter through the type k thermocouple plugs. I was planning on cutting off the bottom where the probe would be to connect the two wires within the thermocouple to the battery, then there would be another one going from the battery to the probe in which I would dip the probe into the different temperatures for the substance of water. By doing this I was going to show how the voltage change shows the amount of electricity changing due to the temperature. Anyway for my question I was wondering how I would be able to connect the wires to the batteries in order for the circuit to work. This is very important so get back to me as soon as you can. Thanks a lot :) :D
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Working With Batteries

Post by bfinio »

Hi - to clarify, are you developing your own procedure for this project or are you following the instructions for this project about the Seebeck effect on the Science Buddies website?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... hermometer

I believe that project has instructions for what you want to do, but it's important to note that you do NOT need batteries in this circuit. The thermocouple generates a voltage which you can measure directly with the multimeter. Additional batteries are not required.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”