Science Fair project question: ChatGPT's AI-Generated Text

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

apryllee

Science Fair project question: ChatGPT's AI-Generated Text

Post by apryllee »

Hello! My 6th grade son is entering a science fair, and I wanted to understand a couple of things so that I can guide him as he's working.

1/He found a project here on science buddies by using the topic selection wizard: "Can Humans Recognize ChatGPT's AI-Generated Text?" Is this question that the project asks enough of a testable question for a science fair?

2/Is the experimental procedure that's listed enough of a guide for him, or does he need to come up with his own?

Thanks so much for your help! I didn't have science fairs available to me when/where I grew up, so my only experience with them is from movies where people get bitten by radioactive spiders, and I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen here?!
Last edited by MadelineB on Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to subject line
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair project question: ChatGPT's AI-Generated Text

Post by bfinio »

Hi and welcome to Science Buddies! The question posed and procedure written in that project should be sufficient for your son to follow in order for your son to enter a science fair. That is the case for most of the projects on our site. The exception is the "abbreviated" project ideas which are marked with an asterisk (*) at the end of the title. Those projects will propose an idea but not give a complete procedure, so the student needs to come up with their own. That is not the case for the ChatGPT project though.

If the ChatGPT project caught his interest, FYI we also have one about AI-generated images: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ted-images

If he wanted to come up with his own procedure, he could combine those two projects, for example to create AI-generated news articles that contain both pictures and text, and compare those to real news articles.

Hope that helps!
apryllee

Re: Science Fair project question: ChatGPT's AI-Generated Text

Post by apryllee »

Thanks so much for your answer!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”