Underwater self-sufficient fuel cell

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AxeXMercury

Underwater self-sufficient fuel cell

Post by AxeXMercury »

Hello, I am a 16 yo.old, I didn't know where exactly to ask this question but here goes...

We know that using electrolysis, we are able to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. We also know hydrogen can be used as fuel.
What if in an underwater vessel, we were able to construct a system where, water from the waterbody is collected in a tank, filter it, and electrolyse it. We would then get hydrogen and oxygen, of which the collection is simple enough using anode and cathode.

The collected oxygen can be used to provide breathable air to the vessel.
The collected hydrogen can be used as fuel to power the vessel, as well as power the electrolysis process.

This would create a system where the period of time the vessel can stay underwater can be greatly increased.

I am aware of the shortcomings in current applications. Firstly, the efficiency of hydrogen fuel cells would need to be vastly increased. Collections of the hydrogen and oxygen must be done in a safe and efficient manner, weight would be a factor too.

All in all, this is a very crude idea and I haven't worked out the specifics yet. But I wanted to know if there is/has been something similar before or not. And if not, is it possible ?
cnoonan180
Expert

Re: Underwater self-sufficient fuel cell

Post by cnoonan180 »

Hello!

Firstly, is a very interesting idea - electrolysis and hydrogen fuel cells are very important to scientists and engineers currently researching clean energy at the university level! I encourage you to pursue this field as you think about applying to college.

Is this project for a science/engineering class or competition? Just to let you know, this forum is intended for students to receive help with science fair/science competition projects.

Related to your idea, some other things to consider are that the air we breathe is mostly composed of nitrogen (approximately 78%) and is only approximately 16% oxygen. So, an atmosphere of only oxygen would technically not be breathable air to sustain human life. This is an important safety concern! However, a system could be developed to regulate the oxygen being generated so that it remains at the correct percentage, so this can still work.

Always remember to check on necessary safety measures before trying any experiments.

Also, for underwater technologies, the pressure of the water on the device and inside of the device is important to measure. High pressure in the device exerted by water above the device can make it difficult for life inside to breathe, so if the device were to be able to sustain (human) life, the device would need to be built appropriately for the pressure to remain just right (around 1 atmosphere of pressure).

To check if someone has explored this idea, I recommend searching "underwater hydrogen fuel cells" and "underwater electrolysis" on the Google Scholar website (this website searches for research papers) or doing a quick Google search. On Google Scholar, you can look at the titles of the academic papers that show up and see if these titles are similar to your idea. This is called a literature review - or checking up on what has already been studied related to your idea. This is an important step to explore when you have an idea that you want to test and want to check if someone has already thought of it or tested something similar!

Just a note: electrolysis has been used in submarines to generate extra oxygen in submarine atmospheres for people to breathe for a long time!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions or would like further assistance!
AxeXMercury

Post by AxeXMercury »

Hey, thank you so much for the input. I didn't see the science fair project part hahaha, my bad, I thought it was a place to ask questions.
I unfortunately do not have the resources, money, time, or specific advanced knowledge to experiment with this, but I have resolved to come up with a theoretical design this summer. Also, I will check out Google Scholar, I didn't know that existed so thank you :)
cnoonan180
Expert

Post by cnoonan180 »

Glad I could help, and good luck with your design this summer - let us know if you have any further questions about your project!

It might be a good idea to ask any science teachers or instructors you may have at your school if they know of any science fairs you can participate in or if they would be willing to assist you with your project.

Here is a link to a ScienceBuddies resource about how to get involved with a science fair project or find a mentor to help you with your project idea: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... mpetitions

Also, here is a list of science fairs you can enter: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... -directory.

Be sure to ask (science) teachers at your school about how they can support you if you decide you want to enter a science fair - there may be some opportunities!

Hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”