Bioluminescence experimeny

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Stemmie

Bioluminescence experimeny

Post by Stemmie »

Hi,

My 5th grader is working on the bioluminescence experiment and we are on day 7. We were expecting the test tubes that we moved between light and dark every 12 hours to do the best (as in glow the brightest), consistent with the circadian rhythm.

However the ones doing the best are the ones exposed to light round the clock, with only brief periods of darkness when we turn off the light to check luminescence twice a day.

What could be causing this?

Thank you.
akulk
Student Expert

Re: Bioluminescence experimeny

Post by akulk »

Hi!

Thank you for reaching out!

Just wanted to confirm, is this the experiment you are conducting: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure ?
Stemmie

Post by Stemmie »

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that first.
akulk
Student Expert

Post by akulk »

Thank you for the clarification!

Because the 12 hour light/12 hour dark set up should yield ideal results, perhaps there is an issue relating to 1) pre-adjustment of the test tubes to a new light/dark cycle before starting the experiment, or 2) the lighting set up during the experiment.

Because of how uber-sensitive the pre-adjustment process is, I suspect #1 might be the area of concern. How did you carry out this part of the project?
Stemmie

Post by Stemmie »

The test tubes spent one week in 12 hour cycles and she commenced the experiment only after confirming all of them were fully acclimatized.
Megalith

Post by Megalith »

I also want to conduct this experiment. There is great interest

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”