Microbial Fuel Cell Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Habibii

Microbial Fuel Cell Project

Post by Habibii »

Hey, I am making a microbial fuel cell for my school science project. I am planning on making two of them, one with the kit from Home Science Tools and one from scratch. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this project as I am fairly new. Is it possible for me to charge a device like a phone even if its just a tiny bit? I just want the charging symbol to pop up on my phone when I connect it if that's even possible. I read through the articles on this website to see but I'm not quite sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time! :D :D
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Microbial Fuel Cell Project

Post by bfinio »

Hi - the Home Science Tools kit only generates enough power to intermittently blink a small LED, which is not enough to charge a phone. It is theoretically possible to build your own much larger microbial fuel cell to charge a phone but it would need to be very big, and it would require additional electronics to properly charge the phone (you can't just plug a phone charging cable directly into the MFC). This video is about potato batteries, not microbial fuel cells, but it will help you get a better idea of how much power is required to charge a phone: https://youtu.be/q9X-ez31oiY?si=5ug1g9R-lbpruGby
Habibii

Post by Habibii »

Thanks for the info and that video! So would it be possible for me to power anything using the kit or even combine it with a couple I make myself? Would connecting it somehow to a battery for a while be enough to recharge that battery? I'm trying to be able to use the electricity generated to power something so my school project seems useful. :D :D

Thanks again for your help
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi,

Even if you combine a few of these kits, it is not going to be enough to really power anything "useful." The kit is intended more as a proof of concept so you can understand how the science works. It cannot even power the LED continuously which is why the LED blinks - it takes a little bit for it to build up enough charge to blink the LED briefly.

If you want to try and power something "useful" - like powering one or more LEDs continuously to use as a night light - then you would need to build your own MFC that has much larger electrodes - more surface area will give you more power.

Hope that helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”