When things don't go as planned...

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

methionine
Project Question: Fox-1 and Fox-2 in Cassette Exon Inclusion and Exclusion
Project Due Date: April 9
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

When things don't go as planned...

Post by methionine »

Hi,
Oh no, I'm so dissapointed! It turns out that my plasmid construction was not successful. I do not have any more time to redo it. Could somebody give me tips on how to still let the judges know that I still put a lot of time and effort into my project, ... etc.? (and perhaps console me a bit? hehe ;P) I want to at least get some sort of recognition for my project if possible.

This information might help you help me better:
My research topic was about the effect of intron length on gene expression levels. I artificially altered the length of a gene that was fused to a reporter gene with recombinant DNA methods, and then used that same reporter gene to measure gene expression levels. I used yeast as my model organism. The thing is, I tried to verify my plasmid with agarose gel electrophoresis, and it turned out that my ligation (or something along the way, whatever it might have been) was not successful. So I don't have the altered plasmids at all.

I do have, however, a solid hypothesis based on previous research and correlations I noted myself when I looked at some databases. I also have a pretty decent understanding of the protocols and biological processes-- I know what each reagent does, where we get it from, why we use that one in particular, and what factors might affect the actions of each reagent. ... I feel confident in my background knowledge. I can probably discuss the possible sources of error in my project, etc. as well.

I also want to add that I'm still continuing with the procedure, except with different plasmids (mutant plasmids) ... just so I can see to what extent each mutation affects the expression of the reporter gene. I'm also doing this to get a feel for doing the entire assay. It won't answer the question I originally asked... but I'll at least have a complete picture of how the assay is performed.

I just really don't want to fail completely after all this time and effort. Is it possible that I have any chance at all? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

-M
People do not see the world as it is, they see it as they are.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Remember this: It took Edison thousands of tries to invent the lightbulb. Things go "wrong" in science all the time. Things don't turn out like we hope they will. It happens all the time, to all sorts of people. It's just part of science (and life).

I wouldn't worry to much. I know that you are probably freaking out right now, but calm down. Talk to the judges about what happened and what you think went wrong. You have put A LOT of time and effort into your project and the judges will recognize that.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do,
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”