INTRESTING NEUROLOGICAL TEST!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
denato

INTRESTING NEUROLOGICAL TEST!!

Post by denato »

Hello reader!
i'm am doing a science project on the theory of "time flies when your having fun" and "time drags out when your bored". I know how I'm going to test it and have all the materials. The problem is I don't know how to bore someone assuredly. it's harder than it looks and i need some suggestions.
the tests are performed in a whit canvas tent with good lighting. for "fun" i'm using a game system, for control i'm just sitting them in there, and i'm stumped on a frustrating task. each test takes 23 min. and I ask for an approximate time from the subjects at the end of the test.

sincerely
Denato
boredom is a state of mind not a feeling-opinion
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

This is a really interesting project. Off the top of my head, what about recording someone reading names from the phone book for 23 minutes and then playing that to your subjects? Make sure that your reader knows that the purpose is to sound boring, so the more monotonous they can be, the better.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose 23 minutes? That means that each of your subjects has to be in your tests for a total of 69 minutes (assuming you have each subject do each test, and I highly reccomend you do). That seems like a lot! Why not do something shorter like 12 minutes?
denato

Post by denato »

that's a great idea! i chose 23 minutes because i thought it wouldn't be a predictable time, and for the "fun" test i was going to use a playstation in the tent. i thought if the time was long enough to get them absorbed in it they might lose track of time, which might partially explain why it seemed "time flew". Also, do you think i should change the amount of time in the tent for the three tests, but keep but keep the time of the tests the same for each subject. (first test 23min, second test 16,ect, next subject, same thing)[/quote]
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

No, I think you should keep it constant--I think it will be more illustrative to see what sort of range of guesses you get.

23 minutes is fine, as long as your subjects are willing to sit in a tent for that long with nothing to do/listening to phone book names. You might consider what you plan to do if someone starts asking 'am I done yet?' If some ask and some don't, and you talk to the ones that do, you might make them less bored. So you might instruct them not to ask at all, or tell them if they ask you can only say 'no' and that's it.
denato

almost done...

Post by denato »

i see :? ...that pretty much wraps it up. can you think of any other constants and variables that may be important? oh! how should i present this and record this anyway? I want to keep it pretty simple but make sure the results show enough information. finally what age and number of people should I use?[/img]
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Hmm...time of day may be a factor. Personally, my attentiveness is lowest mid-afternoon. That's probably going to vary between people, though.

Another thing you probably want to do/control is to present your tests to your subjects in a random order--if you always present boredom, playstation, nothing you may get a result different than if you always presented playstation, nothing, boring, for example.

Recording should be fairly easy--just write down the guesses of people as they emerge. Make sure your next subject can't hear what the other person's guess is, or they may end up choosing a similar value. Also make sure your subjects don't learn that the amount of time is the same for all three tests.

If possible, I would try to use people of the same age, but if you need to, for example, use all your family members that's okay too. Just be aware that age of the person and gender of the person may affect the results so you may get even more scatter. As for number, you probably want as many as possible, but as long as you have about six you'll probably be able to see if there are any patterns.
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Post by zzzzdoc »

Definitely control for time of day in relation to when people wake up. It doesn't have to be exact.

In other words, for day shift people / students who usually wake up in the morning, do it at the same number of hours after awakening, within a range. Like 4-8 hours after awakening. Expecting people to not get bored after being up for 20 hours really isn't the same as trying the same experiment after being awake for 4 hours.

I would also control for stimulants like caffeine intake (coffee, cola, Red Bull).

Like most science, the more conditions that you control, the cleaner your data can be.
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
denato

more!!!

Post by denato »

i'm sure you know that someone might try to sabotage the expieriment to be funny (it's happened to all the other projects i've done) how might i handle this without info getting out? And more importantley how do i keep people from bringing things in. i plan to do this at 10 am and allow the subject to eat a balanced mealin the morning and 1 1/2 pints of water the night before. the bathroom is necessary before each test and no fluids are allowed in the morning ( except coffee for the morning bears :lol:). and none are allowed to see a clock until the test is over. Is it a little extreme? Finally, i need three rescoures (this site included) to get a grade....so actually i need two. thank you for your help so far!
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Re: more!!!

Post by zzzzdoc »

denato wrote:i'm sure you know that someone might try to sabotage the expieriment to be funny (it's happened to all the other projects i've done) how might i handle this without info getting out? And more importantley how do i keep people from bringing things in. i plan to do this at 10 am and allow the subject to eat a balanced mealin the morning and 1 1/2 pints of water the night before. the bathroom is necessary before each test and no fluids are allowed in the morning ( except coffee for the morning bears :lol:). and none are allowed to see a clock until the test is over. Is it a little extreme? Finally, i need three rescoures (this site included) to get a grade....so actually i need two. thank you for your help so far!
I wouldn't bother controlling fluid intake. It shouldn't have anything to do with alertness. If you want to have all the subjects go to the bathroom before the test, I guess that couldn't hurt.

I definitely would not allow any subjects to have caffeine intake of any kind before the test. Even for the "morning bears." That new variable would probably have dramatic effects skewing the results. Eating breakfast seems like a good idea. If nothing else, that post-prandial snooziness would add to the effect.

No clocks or watches / cell phones is essential.

As far as people sabotaging the experiment. People will do what people will do. Choose your subjects wisely. Given large enough numbers of subjects, those will statistically become less relevent.
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
erikws

Post by erikws »

You know how yo bore some one make them do alot of homework!!!!! :D
On the display board, what goes in the area marked "Recommended"?
I can't find anywhere what that information should be.
I appreciate any help!!!!
paulogoeb
Former Expert

Post by paulogoeb »

I think the most boring thing would be to show them a video of something noone is interested in (like those Lifetime shows and soap operas) and then show them something about "what's hot" currently...
denato

rescources

Post by denato »

Right know i need 2 resources. but it's hard to find even just one on this project. the best source would be something on brain activity/behavior and/or stimulation. or anything else you can think of.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Typing 'boredom' into Google scholar (http://www.googlescholar.com) gets you some articles you may find useful, for example this report about a self-reported boredom proneness scale and what correlates with it: http://www.leaonline.com/doi/abs/10.120 ... 2jpa5001_2.

I also got a bunch of interesting articles by typing in 'time perception', though I think it makes more sense for you to look through them all than for me to point you toward any single one.
denato

Post by denato »

SORRY IT'S BEEN A WHILE. i've found boredom tests and resources now i need to mae this topic into a one sentence quesstion like: why do people put salt in boiling water. you know what i mean? also i tried google sholar and you have to pay to view anything :? or be a doctor :x (apologies to doctors)
denato

another desprate cry for help

Post by denato »

SORRY IT'S BEEN A WHILE. i've found boredom tests and resources now i need to mae this topic into a one sentence quesstion like: why do people put salt in boiling water. you know what i mean? also i tried google sholar and you have to pay to view anything :? or be a doctor :x (apologies to doctors)

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”