Command form, or in past tense?

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

methionine
Project Question: Fox-1 and Fox-2 in Cassette Exon Inclusion and Exclusion
Project Due Date: April 9
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Command form, or in past tense?

Post by methionine »

Hi all,
I have a last-minute question-- when you write the procedure on the presentation board, would you want to write it in command form (in a list), or in past tense ("X was performed to ___," etc.)? Or does this just not matter? My teacher suggested that I write it in command form and drastically shorten my procedure, but I'm afraid that it makes my presentation board look childish. Could you suggest any word count limit for a high school project (around states level)? Thank you!

-M
People do not see the world as it is, they see it as they are.
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Command form, or in past tense?

Post by Louise »

methionine wrote:Hi all,
I have a last-minute question-- when you write the procedure on the presentation board, would you want to write it in command form (in a list), or in past tense ("X was performed to ___," etc.)? Or does this just not matter? My teacher suggested that I write it in command form and drastically shorten my procedure, but I'm afraid that it makes my presentation board look childish. Could you suggest any word count limit for a high school project (around states level)? Thank you!

-M
Well, generally if your teacher suggests something, it is a good idea to listen. :D

Judges are not going to have time to read your board in detail. If you can present the procedure as a list, then it will be much easier for them (the judges) to figure out what you did in a 30 second glance at the board.

Louise
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

I would HIGHLY reccomend using a list. The judges don't want to know every nitty gritty detail about what you did. They want to know the gist of how you went about doing your project. If they have a concern with some of your procedures, they will ask you during the interview.

I would reccomend not exceeding a two-page methods section (includes materials and procedures) in a size 20 font.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”