How do I make my board attractive?

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

sci95

How do I make my board attractive?

Post by sci95 »

In my school only 3 kids from one class can go to the school scie fair.I want mine to grab the people attention.I dont know how to.Should I make pop ups.What colors should I use
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: How do I make my board attractive?

Post by davidkallman »

Hi sci95!

Use red or orange for the graphics that you want to stand out.

Use subdued colors, such as blue, for other graphics.

Text can be black, except for highlighted text - which can be in red or orange.
Cheers!

Dave
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

For more tips on how to make your display board looks it's nicest, take a look at https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... oard.shtml
All the best,
Terik
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: How do I make my board attractive?

Post by davidkallman »

Hi sci95!

Yellow or white are the preferred colors for your poster board.

The most important thing about the display is that you know your key points - the few things you want folks to remember after they walk away from your exhibit - and highlight those key points to stand out. Use the most contrasting color. For example, if your general text is black, make the key points red.

If you are creating pie charts, understand that blues and greens (the cool colors) recede from view, while reds, oranges and yellows (the hot colors) stand out. The hot colors should be used to represent your key points. See the attached pie chart. You could also do a bar chart that way -- making all the bars the same cool color except for the bar or bars that represent your key conclusions.

Don't use a rainbow of colors in your exhibit. Stick to a handful of colors, remembering to use the power colors (your hot colors - the key point colors) powerfully. Use them sparingly and where they will have the most impact.

Note, there is some overlap between the material above and my earlier post. Please excuse.
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”