Any recommended, easy-to-grow, fast-growing plants?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Midach

Any recommended, easy-to-grow, fast-growing plants?

Post by Midach »

My project involves testing commercial claims of products that will magnetize or ionize water, giving it benefits. One test involves testing the water on plants.

Which plants are easy to grow and usually grow quickly? I have approx. one month until the project is due.

Thanks in advance.
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Usually the first crops to come out of a spring garden are red radishes and bib lettuce.
-Craig
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Craig_Bridge wrote:Usually the first crops to come out of a spring garden are red radishes and bib lettuce.
There are several types of radishes, some grow in three weeks. This information is on any seed packet (in number of days). I would just go to the plant store and read seed packets and pick the fastest growing.

Louise
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

If you have access to a mature jade plant (Crassula) you can break off pieces and put them in water. They will grow roots and they are virtually indestructible. We have one of these plants. My daughter broke off a piece, which I put in a cup by the window with a little bit of water. I have completely neglected the thing, letting the water completely evaporate at times, yet the plant continues to grow.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

ChrisG wrote:If you have access to a mature jade plant (Crassula) you can break off pieces and put them in water. They will grow roots and they are virtually indestructible. We have one of these plants. My daughter broke off a piece, which I put in a cup by the window with a little bit of water. I have completely neglected the thing, letting the water completely evaporate at times, yet the plant continues to grow.
Jade plants are indestructible, but they are pretty slow growing. I started with one leaf, and a year later I have 8 leaves. Overwatering is more of a problem than underwatering, apparently, so I've learned to neglect mine. It has done much better.

Louise

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”