Science Project Enhancement

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Patricia

Science Project Enhancement

Post by Patricia »

There's a project that I found at exploratorium.edu about ground beef, is there any way to enhance the project and make it not so boring?
The url is http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/me ... y-fat.html
sushi

Post by sushi »

:shock: does look boring... only thing I oculd think of is using diffrent meats.
Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Exactly..
jwibbenmeyer

Post by jwibbenmeyer »

you could place the liquid in the refrigerator and allow the fat to solidify, remove that layer and weigh.
Patricia

Post by Patricia »

I don't need to know how to weigh the liquids, I just need to make the project not so boring as in, making a twist in it that will make me wonder. Just weighing the liqiuds isn't such an intresting science project.
So that's what I need, I need tips. :?

Post by Guest »

sushi wrote::shock: does look boring... only thing I oculd think of is using diffrent meats.
Different meats? How would that work? What would be the main question then?

Post by Guest »

sushi wrote::shock: does look boring... only thing I oculd think of is using diffrent meats.
Different meats? How would that work? What would be the main question then?
Patricia

Post by Patricia »

The ABOVE GUEST was me, but can someoen help me?
Patricia

Post by Patricia »

:(Please hurry...I thank you if you some up with and idea.. :)
htb

Post by htb »

Patricia wrote::(Please hurry...I thank you if you some up with and idea.. :)
if you were to use different meats, you could ask the question, "what is the available fat content of different prepared meats?".

You might do the experiment using equal amounts of ground turkey, beef, pork, chicken, lamb, quantifying the amount of fat that is liberated (e.g. "available" to measure) from each by using the exploratorium method. Other more conclusions could be drawn by using light or dark meat from poultry, or ground vs. non-ground meats. Also, you could do this with different "grades" of ground beef to confirm (or refute) the store's claim as 80%, 90%, or 95% lean.

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”