Help please!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Louise
Former Expert

Re: Help please!

Post by Louise »

inki3 wrote:Thank you for your advice and help Louise!
I never took the chemical home. I left it in my chemistry teacher's room. I have talked about it with him and it just disappeared... I was concerned about it too. Also, the other chemicals were supplied by my teacher; this includes the AlCl3. I've never taken it out of the classroom. So it is a complete mystery. I have looked on all the drawers of the class except the storage room where my teacher keeps the chemicals and i'm not allowed in. The bottle was very small. it cost only about $15.
So the only problem I confront now...is to first find a sodium nitrite... and try to find this chemical somewhere in the room.
I must find this chemical.......
Thank you Louise!!!
Please talk to your chemistry teacher again- maybe he put it in the cabinet and would look carefully? I'm really glad that these chemicals are at school and not at your home.

Was this chemical in solution already? (Was it powder or liquid?) Looking at a chemical catalog, sodium nitrite powder is generally sold in large amounts (500 g or above) and is expensive. Premade solutions are also sold, for example, 5% nitrite in water, in smaller amounts (100 mL) and cost about $10, which is close to what your bottle cost. The premade solution is somewhat safer too, since it is a smaller amount of nitrite.

Louise
inki3

Post by inki3 »

It was a very small bottle and it was powder. My teacher and I looked around the classroom and we did not find it anywhere. The bottle was very small for that i'm sure.
Thank You!
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Hi inki3-
I'm glad you are continuing your search and are talking to your teacher about this issue. Even though it was a small bottle, there still could be enough material to cause problems. (If your teacher bought it, he should be able to tell you how much was there.) Maybe you can think about when you last saw the bottle? Is there any chance another student might have taken it by accident or moved it? Is there anyone else you can ask (like maybe the janitor moved the bottle or another teacher might have locked it up)? I'm sure you already showed the safety sheet to your teacher (and he should have received one in the box with the chemical when he bought it), but if you haven't, you should do so as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Louise

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”