help me determine molecular mass

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
princy

help me determine molecular mass

Post by princy »

how to perform experiment for detemining molecular masses of different solutes by elevation in boiling point .
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: help me determine molecular mass

Post by davidkallman »

Hi princy,

If you input "molecular mass" to answers.com, you'll get back two entries that answer your query. Look under:

Sci-Tech Encyclopedia or Columbia Encyclopedia
Cheers!

Dave
princy

Post by princy »

[quote="princy"]how to perform experiment for detemining molecular masses of different solutes by elevation in boiling point .[/quote]

thank u for your reply but i didnot get the information i want.as it states the determination of molecular mass by freezing point but not by elevation in boiling point
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

Hi princy,

OK it's a little more complicated than my post. If you input: "how do you determine molecular masses of different solutes by elevation in boiling point?" to answers.com, you'll get back several web sites that should answer your question.
Cheers!

Dave
geoffbruton
Former Expert

Post by geoffbruton »

Hi princy,

This is a fascinating method which can be used to estimate the molecular weights (masses) of unknown materials! The links that davidkallman provided through answers.com actually does contain information on elevated boiling points - and not just on freezing point depression, which is another technique that can be used. Please be sure to read the information thoroughly.

If you read over the information provided in the links, there are probably some terms that you are not familiar with, which I would strongly recommend that you research. By the way, what grade are you in and how much chemistry have you covered in school? Like most subjects, this can get pretty complex depending upon how much you want to go into this!

I found one great website to get you started. Check out: <http://www.chem.queensu.ca/people/facul ... /index.htm>. About halfway down there is an experiment that covers just what you are looking for!

In addition, at the top of the page you will see the term, "Colligative Properties" - this should be a great place to start your research. In addition, try looking up "Ebulliometry" - simply put, this is the measurement of changes in boiling point.

Please read over this material as well as whatever you can find yourself, and let us know what questions you have.

Good luck!
Geoff.
Geoff Bruton
Firearm & Toolmark Section
Ventura County Sheriff's Department
Forensic Sciences Laboratory

Return to “Physical Science”