Magnetic strength

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

debdoll44

Magnetic strength

Post by debdoll44 »

Does can the extreme cold of outer space affect the strength of a magnet? My experiment is to show how temperature affects the strength of a magnet. I know that dry ice increases magnet strenght some, and heat reduces magnet strength. Are there magnets on the space shuttle?
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

There are plenty of magnets on the space station and space shuttle and satellites. In particular all the gyroscopes critical to maintaining attitude (orientation) have magnets in their motors. I doubt there is any commercial DC electric motor design that doesn't use a permanent magnet.

If you look up the Currie Temperature (Pierre Currie) for magnetic materials you will find that it is fairly high for most materials. At temperatures considerably below the Currie Temperature, the magnetic strength is not significantly affected by temperature in materials typically used commercially for magnets so you are going to have a hard time measuring any slight differences in magnetic strength at cold temperatures.

Most uses of magnets in space programs have other components that are more sensitive to temperature so most of them are in temperature controlled areas.
-Craig

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”