Magnifying Light

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Cremedelacreme48

Magnifying Light

Post by Cremedelacreme48 »

I finally decided on a topic. I am going to try and increase light in a room without upgrading power usage or wattage of the light bulb. I will be stirctly using optical components. I've researched units of light (lumens, footcandles, etc.) But the question I have is do simple lenses increase visible light of lumens at all? Is the light they refract visible?

Thanks
Alexis

"The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it."
- Pearl S. Buck
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

You might want to do a search for "lens refraction". One hit that I found was http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/p ... 14l5b.html

You should do a search on "conservation of energy" from a physics standpoint. One hit that I found was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Lenses and reflectors are primarily "passive". They certainly do not produce light energy. They may absorb some light.

You might want to think about an imaginary experiment where you paint two identical 8x10x8 foot rooms including all walls the ceiling and floor two different colors, say one is a dark brown or gray and another is white. If you put an identical 100 watt bare bulb in same spot and turn them on in both rooms, which room appears to have more light in it? With identical light sources, they both started with the same amount of light. The difference in appearance will be tied to the reflectance of the paint.
-Craig
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Craig's response reminded me of another question: Cremedelacreme48, Are you considering the total amount of light arriving everywhere in the room , or the amount of light arriving at some particular location in the room (e.g. the floor)?

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”