Help: Need info on Shock(impact) Absorbency topic

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

maniacmattt13
Project Question: Shock Absorbency: Which Material best reduces the impact of a bouncing ball.
Project Due Date: December 31, 2007
Project Status: I am just starting

Help: Need info on Shock(impact) Absorbency topic

Post by maniacmattt13 »

I'm doing a project on Shock Absorbency. I am dropping a ball (maybe multiple types, haven't decided) on different materials to test the materials' shock absorbency. The height of the drop and ball type(s) are the controlled variable. The returning height is the dependent variable. Im not entirely sure on dependent variable either so if anyone has any other ideas for a dependent variable I would appreciate hints. The main problem I am facing is the research part of the experiment. Every time I try to find someting on this topic I get advertisements or products or patents of shoes, tires, baseballs, and...... braws. This isn't helpful to me, so I would appreciate any links or help on the physics of the ball or shock absorbency or anything related.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help: Need info on Shock(impact) Absorbency topic

Post by ChrisG »

Hi,
Welcome to the forums! Shock absorption is an interesting topic, with many possible applications. For starters, I would recommend looking for information on "plastic deformation" and "elastic deformation". It will be worth thinking about what makes a good shock absorber versus what makes something bounce. For example, how will you relate the height of a bounce to the shock absorbency of a material?
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your project.
Chris
rebeccamaman
Former Expert

Re: Help: Need info on Shock(impact) Absorbency topic

Post by rebeccamaman »

Hi, This sounds really interesting and fun. How could bouncing a ball not be fun? If your school or public library subscribe to some scientific databases, that may be an easier place to do research rather than googling. I would suggest that you limit the # of types of balls and only use one ball of each type to eliminate the possiblility of variability of between say tennis ball A and tennis ball B. You'll bury yourself in data if you try to use too many types of balls, but comparisons of two or three types would be interesting.

Good luck
Rebecca Aman MS, CLS (NCA)

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”