Need personal interview regarding water and bacteria

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

phillip123
Project Question: Questions about drinking water and bacteria
Project Due Date: February 1, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Need personal interview regarding water and bacteria

Post by phillip123 »

Hi,
My name is Phillip. I am doing a science fair project and need an interview fast. The project is What effect will using the same water bottle have on your health. Here are the questions you could please answer for me. Thanks.

1. When did you first learn about the topic of water and bacteria?
2. Could you please tell me what intrerested you about biology?
3. What are some of the most important things you learned about water and bacteria?
4. Why do you think this topic is important, useful, or interesting?
5. What practical applications have you found for this topic?
6. How does bacteria grow in water?
7. Does sunlight or darkness affect the growth of bacteria?

When you are done could you please wright a short letter saying I can use your information.

Thanks for SO much!
cparrish
Former Expert

Re: Need personal interview regarding water and bacteria

Post by cparrish »

Hi Phillip,

I have looked at your interview questions and these look to be the questions that need to be answered by you in your project. As you know we at science buddies do not answer your questions for you, but help you to locate the answers. For question number 6 & 7 I suggest you look at the following websites for information on bacterial growth and the effects of different environments on the growth.

textbookofbacteriology.net/growth.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_medium
http://www.historyofwaterfilters.com/ba ... ruses.html
Cindy
phillip123
Project Question: Questions about drinking water and bacteria
Project Due Date: February 1, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by phillip123 »

Those were not the questions needed to be answered by me in my project. Sorry if I sound rude, but my teacher gave me an interview sheet that asks the person I am interviewing to answer those specific questions to get a resource and to get notes
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

phillip123 wrote:Those were not the questions needed to be answered by me in my project. Sorry if I sound rude, but my teacher gave me an interview sheet that asks the person I am interviewing to answer those specific questions to get a resource and to get notes
Hi Phillip123,
Let me give you the same answer I gave anouther student (from your class?). This is not really the best place for an interview. First, someone typing back a series of answers isn't an interview or a discussion, so it may not comply with your teacher's assignment (the other student posted more detailed instructions- it sounded like it was supposed to be a discussion). Secondly, most of us don't give out our contact information/ real names, so cannot sign your form/write your letter. Some experts may answer a list of questions like this, but many of us don't feel it very productive, since most of them can be easily answered with a little research by you. Lastly, there may not be an expert who feels qualified to answer your questions- they seem to assume that the person is actively working in this area. In your case, there are certainly people working with bacteria, but again, many experts on this forum don't answer these types of queries.

Is there any chance you could get your teacher to post here explaining the purpose of interviews? The experts here don't really understand what the point is, or how to answer these questions. Perhaps your teacher could explain this to us, so we can be more helpful.

As for you, I recommend calling your local water treatment plant, and interviewing an engineer there. Be polite, and don't take up too much time. Explain that the teacher gave you these questions, and that you did not make them up. (Frankly, they look like questions generated by someone who has done no research on the topic.) If you really want this to be useful, then I would ask some questions of your own. The more research you've done, the better your conversation will be. Is there something you've found in your reading that you think is neat? Ask your expert about it.

Good luck.
Louise

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”