Facts relate to the temperature of a ball will bounce

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JonnyYan
Project Question: How does the temperature affect how high a ball will bounce? I need 20 facts to support my hypothesis.
Project Due Date: 01/10/2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Facts relate to the temperature of a ball will bounce

Post by JonnyYan »

Please help me to give me some facts. Thank you.
scibudadmin
Site Admin

Re: Facts relate to the temperature of a ball will bounce

Post by scibudadmin »

Thank you for posting your question on the AAE forums. I suggest you start your hunt for information by researching "temperature related to bounce" online or in the library. It might also be helpful if you understand what happens to air molecules at different temperatures. Understanding the principals that make up your question will make it easier to find answers.

If you still have specific questions after you've done your own research feel free to post them here in the forum.

Good luck on your project!

Regards,
Melissa G.
Science Buddies Staff
raytrent
Former Expert

Re: Facts relate to the temperature of a ball will bounce

Post by raytrent »

I think it would be helpful if you were to post more about what kinds of "facts" you're looking for.

Frankly, I'm stumped. To me it seems like there are only really 2-3 "facts" that affect a ball's bounce height: 1-2) Temperature changes the elasticity of the ball and the surface you're bouncing it on. (is that one fact or 2? Anyway, you can research why that is true for more "facts".), and 3) Cold air is denser, so it will resist the ball's motion more (however, I seriously doubt that you'd be able to measure that effect without specialized equipment, and also the barometric pressure tends to decrease when it's getting cold, and that probably offsets most of that effect).

Is this a solid or inflated ball? If the latter, I suppose there's also the effect that the air inside the ball could be denser, depending on whether the ball has time to equilibrate to the surrounding temperature and whether you inflate the ball to a constant pressure before bouncing in both cases or not. That could either affect the elasticity of the ball because it's effectively "less inflated" (see #1), or it could make the ball microscopically heavier/more dense, which could (also completely unmeasurably) affect the speed at which it falls.
../ray\..

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”