Bioinformatics Access

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

lirsveacba
Project Question: I am working on the "Bioinformatics" project with a focus on the FMR1 (Fragile X Syndrome gene) SNPs.
Project Due Date: By early March, I believe.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Bioinformatics Access

Post by lirsveacba »

In the science project "Bioinformatics: The Perfect Marriage Between Computer Science and Medicine," all of the steps after seven become less and less descriptive until even the objective becomes blurry. (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Home)

I have completed all of the steps before 7 successfully, but I have no idea how to get to the model in the example of step 7. (http://www.snps3d.org/cgi-bin/jmol?seq_ ... ymbol=CFTR)

In my project, I am studying the correlation between the SNPs (like rs29281 and rs2187601) on Fragile X Syndrome. How do I navigate the SNPS3D.com website, and what does ScienceBuddies.org say to do after that?
"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." -Rene Descartes
raytrent
Former Expert

Re: Bioinformatics Access

Post by raytrent »

This is a bit out of my usual area of expertise.

I could probably figure out how to navigate the SNPS3D website, given enough information about the input you want to analyze but, like you, I'm pretty unclear about what this project is trying to accomplish.

I think you might have better luck with this question in the Life Sciences board rather than here. If you still would like help with that particular website (especially if the life sciences folks can't help you), post another reply with summarizing what you've done so far and I'll see if I can help.
../ray\..
lirsveacba
Project Question: I am working on the "Bioinformatics" project with a focus on the FMR1 (Fragile X Syndrome gene) SNPs.
Project Due Date: By early March, I believe.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Bioinformatics Access

Post by lirsveacba »

Ray Trent wrote:I think you might have better luck with this question in the Life Sciences board rather than here. If you still would like help with that particular website (especially if the life sciences folks can't help you), post another reply with summarizing what you've done so far and I'll see if I can help.
Thank you, I'll do just that!
"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." -Rene Descartes

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”