Using an electroscope

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

hudson
Project Question: "How do different materials react to static electricity"
Project Due Date: February 5, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Using an electroscope

Post by hudson »

I am doing the experiment on how different materials react to static electricity, using an electroscope. I followed the instructions in the experiment for building the electroscope, and believe it to be correct, but am not getting a reading on anything that I test. The ball wiggles a lot when I put my finger near it, but other that that, it doesn't move. Any suggestions?
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Using an electroscope

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi!

I understand that you have constructed the electroscope per the experiment writeup, but when you test it by rubbing a material on a foam plate and then place the electroscope on the charged plate, the ball does not deflect away from the pie pan. Is this correct?

If it is, the problem is most likely that the pie pan has touched a grounded object while being placed on the plastic plate. It could be that you are touching it, or that something else that conducts has touched it. Reread step 11 of the writeup very carefully.

That is my best guess. It is hard to answer your question when I cannot see the experiment being done. It might help to have your parent or teacher watch the experiment and advise you. Sometimes two observers can figure out the problem, when one person just can’t see the obvious problem.

Good luck!

Barrett Tomlinson
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: Using an electroscope

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Wearing a pair of sneakers, can you shuffle your feet across a rug or carpet and touch a door knob and get a shock? If yes, then you should be able to make this experiment work.

If not, then you maybe living someplace where it will be hard to do this experiment because there is too much moisture in the air that allows electrons to move quickly through the air. Tell us the city where you live or go to the weather report for your area and tell us what the relative humidity is. If you live someplace that is cold and the heating system has a humidifier, it might be adding enough moisture to , you may have to do your experiment in garage that isn't heated.

Try clearing everything off a small table or a 2 foot by 2 foot area of a counter top or larger table. Place a glass jar or drinking glass on your workspace. Then balance your electroscope pie plate on top of the glass. Adjust the straw and thread so that the ball on the end of the thread stays touching the outer edge of the pie plate (but just barely - lifting the opposite side of the plate 1/8 inch should cause the ball to separate from the plate).

Wearing sneakers and standing near your electroscope, rub a ballon on a piece of wool or styrofoam then touch the ballon to the electroscope pie plate without moving your feet.
-Craig

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”