Easy Science Fair Question!!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JonnyYan
Project Question: How does the temperature affect how high a ball will bounce? I need 20 facts to support my hypothesis.
Project Due Date: 01/10/2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Easy Science Fair Question!!!!

Post by JonnyYan »

Hello people, I need y'all to help me for one question. My science fair topic was "How does the temperature of a ball affect how high it will bounce." But on my displayboard, I need the Purpose. I have no idea what is it. Please help me. The purpose was how mine topic applies to real life.
MelissaB

Re: Easy Science Fair Question!!!!

Post by MelissaB »

Well, it would obviously matter in sporting competitions, but I bet temperature and pressure matters for other important things as well--tires are the first thing that comes to mind. We had a bad cold snap here a week or two ago, and a warning light on my dashboard came on telling me my tires were underinflated. Underinflated tires cause a lot of problems for cars for reasons that you probably investigated in the background research for your project.
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Easy Science Fair Question!!!!

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

Since this is a science fair project, you will need to include the science behind your project. For this project, you are studying the effect of the temperature on the kinetic energy of the balls. Atoms in matter move faster at higher temperatures. In your experiment did you find that temperature made a difference in how the balls bounced?

Here are a couple of websites that include information on why balls bounce and on kinetic energy.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/b ... balls.html

http://eo.ucar.edu/webweather/molecules.html

You can find more information by searching for "kinetic energy and temperature."

The purpose of your project states what you are trying to accomplish. For this project, it will be something like," The purpose of this project is to study the effect of temperature on the kinetic energy of bouncing baseballs." You should look at the handout your teacher gave you and rewrite this statement according the instructions.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”