Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

twinklingstar
Project Question: Bacteria
Project Due Date: March
Project Status: I am just starting

Project

Post by twinklingstar »

I am planning on doing a project on bacteria. I want to take samples of bacteria from different places in my school (ex: bathroom, a classroom or gym) and want to allow them to grow on petri dishes. Then, I wanted to send the samples of the bacteria to a lab so I could have it analyzed/tested to see what possible illnesses/diseases it could lead to. However, there are a few problems with this topic: 1) I cannot find any laboratories that would be willing to analyze the samples for me 2) There is a possibility that my results will not be accurate, considering the fact that different bacterias grow at different rates.

Is there any advice that anyone could give me, regarding any labs that could analyze the samples/how I could perform the project without encountering flaws?
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Project

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
That might be hard to do, maybe you could check out some of the microbiology ideas from ScienceBuddies, including the this one-
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Home
Good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
twinklingstar
Project Question: Bacteria
Project Due Date: March
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by twinklingstar »

Yes.. thats one of the problems with the topic as a whole. Thanks for the advice, I will surely look at the link you posted. =]
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by HeatherL »

Hi twinklingstarl

This is an interesting project idea! Although you might not be able to get your samples analyzed to relate them to specific diseases, you can still carry out the project to produce interesting results. :!: Rather than trying to get the exact identity of the bacteria, you can count the number of colonies produced from samples at each location. (In this case, it would be best to take 5-10 samples from each location, and compare averages.) From this procedure, you will still be able to say what locations in your school contain the most bacteria, with a higher potential for spreading infection. Do make sure, however, that you note where you take the sample in each location. For example, did you swab the sink in the bathroom, or the toilet? Did you swab the locker room door handle in the gym, or the floor? It's important to make these notes, because different areas within one location may contain different numbers of bacteria.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions! :)

Cheers,
Heather
adance
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by adance »

Hi twinklingstar,

You might try to buy some of this stuff called Coligel (http://www.geneq.com/catalog/en/coligel.html)

It's like the agar in petri plates, but the colonies will turn pink or blue depending on what kind they are. Specifically, it identifies coliforms and E. coli, two kinds of bacteria commonly associated with disease.

You raise a really good point about bacteria growing at different rates. In fact, many bacteria won't grow in petri dishes at all. Your project idea is still a good one, but you might want to mention this in your report, you were smart to think of it.

Good luck.
Amber Dance
Science Buddy

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”