Parasites

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Tanesha
Project Question: Parasites grow and development
Project Due Date: March 7, 2008
Project Status: I am just starting

Parasites

Post by Tanesha »

Help--My fourth grader watched an Oprah show as Dr. Oz dicussed how parasites can live inside of humans unchecked for years. He was fasinated and really wants to do a science fair project on the subject. However, we are not sure which angle to take as well as the fact that he does not have access to any parasites. I was not sure if there was any way to do a project on this topic. After some library reseach we thought we could dicuss--Why do parasites live in humans? But we still would not have a project. We can't physically handle parasites, also some of the Do you have any project ideas or is this an impossible topic to use for the science fair?
paulsdecarli
Former Expert

Re: Parasites

Post by paulsdecarli »

I think one might do a nice literature-research-only project on parasites and symbionts. Don't forget examples from the plant world (mistletoe?). The big question is whether the teacher will find such a project acceptable. As a regular science fair judge, I would.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

I agree. He could ask a question like, 'Do humans have more parasites than dogs?' or, "What types of parasites are most dangerous to humans?" and then do research to answer his question. Like Paulsdecarli said, do check with his teacher, but I would think that if your son is really interested in the subject that the teacher would allow him to do a more research-based project.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Tanesha,
As Paul and Melissa said, the literature review sounds like a good possibility. Also, if you child is interested in other kinds of parasites and would like to run some experiments, there are many plant parasites that would be suitable. I don't know where you live, but from my garden I could provide you with plenty of aphids at this time of the year.
Regards,
Chris
Willz
Former Expert

Post by Willz »

Many of the other Experts have suggested doing a research-based project, which is a good idea. If you guys do decide to do an actual project that requires the handling of parasites, make sure you guys are careful, because depending on the type of parasite, infection is possible. You say that 'We can't physically handle parasites'; do you mean that you guys are not allowed to handle parasites, or do you think that all parasites are too small to see and handle? Just to clarify, not all parasites are microscopic; an example would be a tapeworm, which is clearly visible.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”