Designing the Science Project Board

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Evola Lewis
Project Question: Is Hypothesis and Prediction the same also is Problem and Question the same? This is for title headings on project.
Project Due Date: February 15, 2008
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Designing the Science Project Board

Post by Evola Lewis »

Designing the Science Project Board. My 6th Grader wanted to use the ready made labels purchased at the store. However, we are confuse. Can we use the Problem label for her Question and can we use the Hypothesis lable for her Prediction?
MelissaB

Re: Designing the Science Project Board

Post by MelissaB »

I think you may need to ask your student's teacher this question. Technically, a hypothesis is not the same as a prediction, but the two are often confounded by science fairs and science fair sites/materials. I don't see a huge problem with exchanging 'problem' for 'question', but if your child's teacher specifically said your child needs to display a question and a prediction, you need to ask him or her whether or not you can use the new labels.
elin105
Former Expert

Re: Designing the Science Project Board

Post by elin105 »

Hi,

In past regional and district science fairs, I have often seen the two used interchangeably, so it should be all right if Problem is used instead of Question, and Hypothesis is used instead of Prediction.

Good luck!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”