Ear Wax Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Ear Wax Project

Post by HeatherL »

Hi hayamhm,

So glad to hear that you got the photos you wanted! :D

Honestly, I don't know how to answer your language question. :? I think the safest thing would be to present everything in English, but this may be something to ask your teacher or to check with the science fair regulations. If all your instructions for the science fair are in English, I would assume that you should present in English. Is the regional science fair part of your French immersion program?

Cheers,
Heather
hayamhm
Project Question: What solution best cleans our ears from ear wax?
Project Due Date: Monday February 25th 2008. (I got a couple of days extension)
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by hayamhm »

The science fair project is part of the french immersion program, we do the exact same thing as the english except for its in french. So I do the project in french, present it in front of the class in french and the board stays in french. Except at the school fair I presented in english. When I asked my science teacher she told me she didn't know, and the other teacher said I'd probably do it in french. So I'm kind of confused, but that's ok, I'll practice in both languages just in case! Problem solved! :D

For my introduction, I wrote up a summary really of the ear and how it produces ear wax. I also included background information about my project. Do you think it would be necessary for me to include a diagram of the human ear? I can't find one that explains and shows everything. I couldn't find one that had the glands, the tympanic membrane, and the umbo.

Thanks! :D
HeatherL
Former Expert

Post by HeatherL »

Hi hayamhm,

Sorry I couldn't answer your language question, but let me say that it's awesome that you can work in both languages. Good for you! :D

It wouldn't be necessary to include a diagram of the ear, but it would certainly be helpful. I typed "diagram of the ear" into Google Images, and got several good hits. You can use one of those diagrams, but make sure that you cite your source, meaning that you include the source of the image in your bibliography. However, I think your best bet would be to find a physiology or anatomy textbook at your local library, and make a color copy of a good diagram from the book. Just make sure to include that book in your bibliography if you use the diagram! :wink:

If you haven't already, you can also include information about sebaceous glands and apocrine sweat glands, which are responsible for producing ear wax. Most people don't really know how ear wax is formed, so this would be interesting background information to include for your judges. As you mentioned, most diagrams don't include the glands, but they are located in the skin cells of the outer ear (including the external ear canal). You could mention this, and possibly even add it to the diagram yourself! :mrgreen:

It sounds as if you are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work! :D

Cheers,
Heather
hayamhm
Project Question: What solution best cleans our ears from ear wax?
Project Due Date: Monday February 25th 2008. (I got a couple of days extension)
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by hayamhm »

Hi,

I''m so sorry I haven't been posting lately, I've been really busy :oops:

But I finished the science fair, I got a gold medal! And I also got the award for the best project in junior life sciences! And so it's all thanks to you! I want to thank you sooooo much, I really appreciate all your help!

Thanks
HeatherL
Former Expert

Post by HeatherL »

Wow, thanks for the update! I am so excited that you got a gold medal! :D Congratulations!

I'm glad that our advice helped you, but it's really your hard work and dedication that got you that medal. :wink: GREAT JOB!!!

Best wishes,
Heather
geoffbruton
Former Expert

Post by geoffbruton »

Terrific news! Well done!

Best wishes,
Geoff.
Geoff Bruton
Firearm & Toolmark Section
Ventura County Sheriff's Department