Chemistry

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

daniel5353
Project Question: What equipment would you need to collect the gas from a chemical reaction?
Project Due Date: 18th March 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Chemistry

Post by daniel5353 »

What would you need to do to collect the gas from a chemical reaction? Thanks in advance to anyone that could help me.
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Chemistry

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

What kind of gas are you trying to collect? Is it very soluble in water?

The usual method is to collect the gas in an inverted (upside down) test tube or graduated cylinder filled with water. This is illustrated toward the bottom of this Science Buddies experimental writeup:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Home

If the gas is not very soluble in water this method works really well. If it is quite soluble in water you can use a similar method but substitute a solvent in which the gas is not soluble for the water. Mercury has sometimes been used, though it is not customary to bubble gas through it, and since it is poisonous it is not a good idea for students to use it at all.

Does this answer your question? If not, repost with more details of what you are trying to do.

Best Regards,

Barrett Tomlinson

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”