prey and habitats

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

spg4296
Project Question: in the M & M survival challenge, i have used 6 "prey" colors and only 5 "habitats" colored construction paper. is this ok or do i have to do the experiment over with 6 and 6 or 5 and 5?
Project Due Date: 4/11/08
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

prey and habitats

Post by spg4296 »

i'm doing a science project on "survival of the fittest" so to speak using M & M's as the prey and colored construction paper as the habitat. i used 6 color M & M's and 5 color habitat pieces of construction paper. do you think i can still get an accurate reading on which color M & M's survives in the different habitats?
thanks so much for your input.

respectfully,
spg
MelissaB

Re: prey and habitats

Post by MelissaB »

SPG,

Can you tell us a little more about your project? Are you using just 6 M&M's on each construction paper, or do you mean that you are using six colors of M&Ms on each?

It shouldn't be a problem to look at how the experiment runs on five different colors of construction paper, as long as you start out with enough M&Ms on each (if you only have six on each, your 'predators' will probably get them all). Make sure you start with the same number of each color on each bit of construction paper!
spg4296
Project Question: in the M & M survival challenge, i have used 6 "prey" colors and only 5 "habitats" colored construction paper. is this ok or do i have to do the experiment over with 6 and 6 or 5 and 5?
Project Due Date: 4/11/08
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by spg4296 »

first i sorted out 60 m&m's, 10 of each color, and placed them in a baggie 5times. then i spilled the baggie onto each sheet 1 at a time. then i timed my family eating the m&m's for 10 seconds, counted the remaining candies and repeated for each habitat (paper). thanks for such a quick reply.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

That sounds like a great way to do your project! It's good that you thought of doing it five times instead of just once.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”