Temperature and Magnetic Force

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

dmsm
Project Question: Does temperature affect the force of a magnet?
Project Due Date: 4/16/2008
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Temperature and Magnetic Force

Post by dmsm »

My 1st grader is doing his experiment on, Does temperature affect the force of a magnet? We did the experiment by recording the number of paper clips the magnet can lift at room temperature, having been in the freezer, and using the hair dryer to heat it up. We want to know what the conclusion is supposed to be but the research on the internet is too difficult to understand.
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Temperature and Magnetic Force

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
This is a very interesting project. Ultimately, heating the magnet will cause the magnet to lose its magnetism. Usually this happens if the magnet has been heated above the "curie temperature", which is an extremely high temperature. However, this project deals with much lower temperatures so ultimately the result will be that the hotter the magnet, the worse it is. Hopefully the following link is more informative-
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 923AAophK4
Hope this helped!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Temperature and Magnetic Force

Post by ChrisG »

Hi dmsm,
Here is a detailed discussion of the effects of temperature on permanent magnets:
http://www.magnetweb.com/Sect3A.htm
I realize that some of the concepts there might be unfamiliar, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Regards,
Chris

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”