HELP! Why did seeds germinate in Coke but not in water?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

punkindoodleboo
Project Question: How do different liquids affect seed germination
Project Due Date: April 22, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

HELP! Why did seeds germinate in Coke but not in water?

Post by punkindoodleboo »

Hi,
My 1st grader is doing a science fair project. She is germinating lima bean seed in different liquids: tap water, Coke, pineapple juice, and chocolate milk. The Coke is the only one that has germinated so far. Can you help us with the WHY? ie, why the others have not germinated (we are at the 10th day). Is there something special about Coke?

Thank you in advance, her science fair is April 22nd,

CO Mom
MelissaB

Re: HELP! Why did seeds germinate in Coke but not in water?

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

I'm not a plant expert, but my guess would be that the acidity in the Coke broke down the outside layer of the bean so it was easier for the leaves to get out of the seed. Alternatively, there may be some chemical in the coke that mimicked a plant hormone and made it grow faster--but that seems unlikely.
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

Hi,
That is a very odd result. Seeds primarily need water to germinate, and Coke does not seem to have that advantage over the other liquids that you used. Could you tell us more about the conditions that each seed was in? In addition, this wiki article describes the basic requirements for germination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germinatio ... ermination
Hope this helps!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
carmendemiguel
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by carmendemiguel »

I am not an expert on this either, but I think that the sugars present in the Coke could have help the seed to germinate earlier. I know that you were also testing chocolate milk and the seed didn't grow there; maybe the amount of sugars there was not as high as in the Coke.
I hope that this helps.
Carmen

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”