more

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Wheties820
Project Question: Adrenalin and running or cold and hot in running
Project Due Date: 5/6/08
Project Status: I am just starting

more

Post by Wheties820 »

My science project is on the effects of weather and muscle fireing thrugh running. I am going to perform this expirement by lowering my muscle temperature by standing outside with runnig shorts on at a specific temperature for thirty minuets then take my temperature then run one lap around the track timed and repeat this at different times of the day when its at different temperatures.
Question:does muscle temperature affect time it takes to do stuff.
Hypothesis : yes I think that muscle temperature affects time it takes to do stuff.
procedu
carmendemiguel
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: more

Post by carmendemiguel »

Hi
Your project sounds very interesting. I think that your plan for the experiments sounds good, although there are some things that you should consider. First, you have to choose times of the day when you are sure that the temperatures are going to be very different from each other, i.e. early in the morning, at noon or so, and at night (when the sun has already gone down). Second, you have to keep constant the amount of time you are going to run for, and also, the activity that you are going to be doing ( running on a flat surface doesn't require the same amount of energy as doing so on a hill, for example).Third, how are you going to measure the temperature outside? Try using the same thermometer to do that every time you run.
And fourth, I guess that I am a little confused with the tittle of your project and the real experiment that you are going to perform: is it "adrenaline and running" or "how temperature affects running"? If you choose the adrenaline one, you will have to change your hypothesis a little bit and say something like "muscle response to adrenaline varies with different temperatures" or something like that.
Good luck with your project.
Carmen
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: more

Post by HeatherL »

Hi Wheties820,

It is helpful if you keep all of your postings on the same thread. I just responded to your original post, and then I found this one. Please look here for my original response: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... =25&t=3836

As Carmen pointed out, measuring yourself at different times of day introduces another variable besides temperature - time of day. People perform differently at different times of day, in ways that do not have to do with temperature. This could "confound" your results; in other words, you could get results that you think are due to temperature, but they could be due to time of day.

There are a couple ways to try to get around this problem. One would be to use the same time of day on different days, and use whatever temperatures occur at that time. Hopefully, you get a good sunny day and a good cold day to help you out! :wink: Another way to get around these problems would be to run on a treadmill in a room, and adjust the temperature yourself (i.e., with a fan or space heater). The problem with the treadmill is that you will always be going the speed to which you set the treadmill - probably not the best for your goal of comparing time. :|

I hope this helps. Feel free to post again as you develop your project further!

Cheers,
Heather

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”