scifair

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

dlsmadscienctist
Project Question: Are there any potentially great ideas out there?
Project Due Date: February 1, 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

scifair

Post by dlsmadscienctist »

hi any ideas
Last edited by dlsmadscienctist on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlsmadscienctist

Need help with which idea is original and unique!

Hi!
I have a few topics in mind and I need helping finding the one that will have most success and/or is unique.
Here are my ideas:
1.something about gasoline, and testing if its really worth what people are paying
2.anti-bacterial soap as i explained in a post.

Please reply fast, I need help!
I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks! :mrgreen:
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need help with Anti-Bacterial Soap

Post by ChrisG »

Hi dlsmadscienctist,
Welcome to the Ask an Expert forum. I merged your topics so that they won't get separated. Please try to keep your posts in this thread so that the experts will have an easier time helping you.
Here are my thoughts about your questions:
1) Estimating the "actual" monetary value of gasoline is complex and subjective. For example, how much would you pay for a gallon of gas if you were stranded in the desert with an empty tank, and your life depended on getting to the nearest town? At the other extreme, how much is a gallon of gas worth to someone who doesn't own a car and has no use for a gallon of gas? This relates more to economics than to science.
2) The antibacterial soap topic has potential for a project. You could test for concentrations of the active ingredient, which would be relatively difficult and/or expensive, or you could test the efficacy of antibacterial soap before and after UV exposure using zones of inhibition on agar plates.
Here are basic instructions and cautions for testing zones of inhibition.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Home
Please also review hazards of working with UV light on this page
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Home

Triclosan is the active ingredient in many hand soaps. You can find more information about UV affects on triclosan by searching for "triclosan photodegradation".

Good luck,
Chris
dlsmadscienctist

Re: project

Thanks a bunch, that helps.
My school gives grants....do you think I should apply for one? Is the expensive way the way to go?
Also, should I be testing numerous soaps, or just one in particular?
ChrisG
Former Expert

Re: scifair

Post by ChrisG »

You're welcome. As far as analyzing for chemical constituents versus using agar plates, either approach would be fine. They just answer slightly different questions. Trying to find a laboratory to analyze for antibiotics could be a challenge, depending on where you live and what is available in your area.
Whether you choose one soap or several is up to you. Again, different procedures will answer different questions.
dlsmadscienctist

scifair

how about a thermal electric generator???
ChrisG
Former Expert

Post by ChrisG »

Are you asking whether thermal electric generation would be a good topic for a science fair?
dlsmadscienctist

Yes, that is exactly what I am asking...
ChrisG
Former Expert

Post by ChrisG »

If that topic interests you, then it would be a good one for a science fair project. You could do an engineering project or a scientific project.
dlsmadscienctist

Why yes it interests me. Has this topic been done before? Also, would it be project that could have success?
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

dlsmadscienctist wrote:Yes, that is exactly what I am asking...
Please take a look at: http://scitoys.com/board/messages/1/559 ... 1201274676
Thanks.

Two points:

1. Yes, someone else has done a project on the same topic.
2. There seems to be another bulletin board like sciencebuddies!

Tongue in cheek, maybe there are parallel universes.
Cheers!

Dave
dlsmadscienctist

Thanks for the heads up.
Some other ideas came to mind and I was wondering if it was a good one, and if they have any potential success.
Here it is:
I was thinking if there was someway to harness the warmth given off by people in popular areas, and then using it to generate energy.

Another is using the heat given off by the sun outside to heat salt which would turn to liquid and absorb the heat making it cooler, and when it is cold it solidifies and releases heat, like insulation. This could be used for buildings or structures? I don't know where I am going with this. Help please?
ChrisG
Former Expert

Post by ChrisG »

Hi,
Regarding capturing body heat to generate energy (do you mean electricity?), it is theoretically possible, but it is hard to see how this exact idea would be practical or useful. Generally, people like to be warm and cozy, and do not want to feel the effects of temperature gradients on their body.

Regarding the idea of solar heating & phase change (solid to liquid or liquid to solid) this general concept has a lot of practical applications. The principals are the same as an air-conditioner, where liquid-gas phase changes are used to transfer heat. Here is an example of your idea in action: http://www.solarpanelsplus.com/thermal-how-it-works/
You can also find more info about some similar, smaller-scale applications here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe.
I do not understand the idea of using salt. Sodium chloride salt melts at 801 °C. You would need some substance that undergoes phase changes at or near room temperature. For the idea of using the phase change to store energy from the sun, keep in mind that the same thing could be accomplished with, for example, a concrete wall that absorbs heat during the day and releases it at night. The advantage of something like what you've proposed is that it could be smaller, more flexible in its use, and it could potentially be more easily added to existing houses.
dlsmadscienctist

Thank you, again.
I've decided that the two projects are difficult and confusing.
I would like to ask if there is any potential for doing a project on Alternative fuels? I need help thinking of a unique project. Maybe testing different fuels? Propane? Natural Gas?
ChrisG
Former Expert

Post by ChrisG »

You're welcome.
Yes, there is potential for doing a project on alternative fuels. I haven't been able to find an example on our website, but if you try a web search for "alternative fuels science projects" you will find some examples.
Please don't be discouraged if a topic seems confusing. All topics seem that way sometimes. It might just be a matter of asking a few questions.
The best way to find a good topic is to follow your own curiosity. At this point, don't worry about whether a topic is unique or original. That will come later.

Chris

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”